Help Your Child Succeed
Students do better in school and in life when their parents are engaged in their education. One of the most important roles a family can play in the success of their children is to support their learning in the home.
The resources in this section help families understand what their students are learning in school, and provide guidance for supporting that learning at home.
The Parents’ Guide to Student Success
These guides, developed by the National Parent Teacher Association, include:
- key items that children learn in English language arts and Mathematics in each grade
- activities that parents can do at home to support their child's learning
- methods for helping parents build stronger relationships with their child's teacher, and
- tips for planning for college and career (high school only).
Guides are available for in English and in Spanish (Grades Kindergarten through high school).
Parent Road Maps for Supporting Student Learning at Home
These brochures, produced in partnership with the Council of Great City Schools, provide the following:
- a simple explanation of what DCPS students learn in English Language Arts and in Mathematics,
- explain how teachers might approach those subjects in the classroom, and
- provide ideas for how families can support learning in these subjects at home.
Each brochure is specific to a grade level and subject, so you can easily find support that is right for your child. Brochures are available in English (Grades Kindergarten through 8) and in Spanish (Grades Kindergarten through 5).
Activities to Support Student Learning at Home
These are activities you can do at home to support students in English Language Arts and in Mathematics (Grades Kindergarten through 5). These activities are designed to strengthen skills in some of the key learning standards. Each activity includes an explanation of the target skill and instructions on engaging in the activity with children. These simple activities are a fun way to support what students are learning in school.
DCPS Scope and Sequence Documents
These documents show what students learn in English Language Arts and in Mathematics. Teachers use these documents to plan what students learn, and when they will learn it (Grades Kindergarten through high school).